Of all the possible wedding reception games and interactions, The Shoe Game is overwhelmingly the most popular one with brides and grooms. While not really a “game” per se, the Shoe Game is an effective interaction because both the couple and the guests receive great entertainment value from it, especially when led by a competent host; a light and playful series of Shoe Game questions will always generate a ton of laughter! Finally, the game makes for a fantastic lead-in for the next formality of the reception.
Before we get to my list of over 250 Shoe Game questions to consider asking at your wedding reception, here are some pro tips on how to properly host the game.
HOW TO PLAY
The Shoe Game is very easy to set up and play. Here’s how:
- Decide where in the reception space you would like to play The Shoe Game. For most weddings, in front of the Head/Sweetheart Table or at the center of the dance floor is a great choice, as all guests have a nice vantage point.
- Place two chairs back to back, so that the bride and groom will not be able to see each other as they answer questions.
- In the traditional sense of the Shoe Game, the bride and groom remove both of their shoes and swap one of their shoes with the other.
- The Host – the Master of Ceremonies, Wedding DJ, Best Man, Maid of Honor, designated guest, etc. – will then start asking a series of questions. For each question, the bride and groom will need to raise the shoe of who they think best answers the question. The host will need to inform the guests that their reaction is key: since the bride and groom cannot see how each other answered, the guests need to let the couple know if their answers align or not.
- If the bride and groom both raise the same shoe, that’s a “match”, so tally up one point.
- If the answers of the bride and groom don’t align, or one raises two shoes for a “half-match”, who cares, as points don’t matter anyway. 😉
WEDDING SHOE GAME TIPS
As I alluded to before, the Shoe Game isn’t necessarily a game, as there is no prize or winner. It is purely an interaction designed to engage and entertain your guests. Here are a few tips to ensure a successful Shoe Game at your wedding:
THE COUPLE SHOULD NEVER KNOW THE QUESTIONS AHEAD OF TIME
If you are a bride or groom reading this, the best advice I can offer is this: send this post’s link – www.tonyschwartzmcdj.com/the-ultimate-list-of-shoe-game-questions – to the host of your Shoe Game and allow them to pick out the questions for your game. It is totally fair for you to give them guidance on what topics are off-limits or what approach to take – sweet, romantic, serious, insightful, difficult, hilarious, dirty, divisive, etc. – but try to avoid knowing the questions you will be asked beforehand. Unexpected questions will make it fun for both of you, especially when your answers don’t align!
An important note for hosts: while there are hundreds of Shoe Game questions below, it is your responsibility to handpick questions that are light, playful, and appropriate for the couple. For example, if the bride or groom is a recovering alcoholic, it is highly inadvisable to ask a question such as “Who is better at holding their liquor?”
PICK A COMPETENT HOST
The key to the Shoe Game is the host. Pick someone who has a good sense of humor, can think lightning-fast on their feet, can read the crowd, and make adjustments to the game on the fly. As long as they are comfortable speaking in front of an audience, a friend or family member who knows both of you well would be a great pick, as they can quickly insert funny asides. Your Master of Ceremonies or wedding DJ would also be a great pick, as they likely have experience leading the game.
PLAY AFTER DINNER (RIGHT BEFORE TOASTS OR CAKE CUTTING)
I understand there may be regional differences in terms of the flow of formalities at a wedding reception, hence why I put toasts and cake cutting in parenthesis. But over my career, I have found that the absolute best time to play the Shoe Game is as dinner concludes and right before the next formality kicks off. It’s a great segue and regains the focus of the entire room to a key location: the couple’s table or dance floor. Plus, after a couple of drinks, the room is much more lively – which is always a plus for the Shoe Game. 😉
The only other time of the reception I would play the Shoe Game is late at night, and only if the couple desired the inclusion of a few raunchy questions (it’s rare, but some do).
BE MINDFUL OF YOUR AUDIENCE
Remember, the game is designed to be lighthearted and fun, so questions should never be too personal or invasive. Also, unless playing the Shoe Game late at night, the risk-reward ratio is too great for asking questions that some may deem offensive or distasteful.
ALSO, BE MINDFUL OF THE TIME
Realistically, the Shoe Game should last between five to ten minutes, and never be more than approximately 20 questions. A good host will prepare more questions than they need, and then tailor the questions to suit as the game goes on. Remember this entertainment tip: it’s best to leave your guests wanting more, rather than checking out early.
To get everyone into the groove of the game, start with a few easy questions. This ensures the bride and groom know how to answer correctly and the crowd knows how to react appropriately when the couple’s answers align and misalign. Once everyone is comfortable and engaged, start firing away with the questions that are zany, difficult, funnier, etc.
WORK TOWARDS LAUGHTER
Order your questions in a manner that builds towards a ton of laughter. Remember this format: easy, easy, easy, HARD. Ask a series of easy questions that the couple will be able to quickly answer in alignment, then throw in a question that is a little trickier. For example, “Who has the crazier family?” usually always generates hesitation and two different answers, which just adds to the laughter from the guests!
IT’S EASY TO WRITE CUSTOM-TAILORED QUESTIONS
As you will note below, most questions start with “Who is…” Follow that format as you write specific questions for the bride and groom.
VIRAL CURRENT EVENTS ALSO MAKE GREAT QUESTIONS
When I prepare a list of Shoe Game questions for my clients, I try to write a few questions based on recent viral events. For example, when “Storm Area 51” was a viral thing in 2019, I wrote this Shoe Game question – “Who is more likely to storm Area 51 on September 20th?” – and it got a lot of laughs prior to the bride and groom even answering!
THE LAST QUESTION IS ALWAYS THIS
Any variation of “Of all the people in the world, who is the one person you love the most?” always ends the game on a sweet note. There are a few instances where you might end on a different question, but 99% of the time, this is the best way to end the Shoe Game.
USE OBJECTS OTHER THAN SHOES
Here’s a little secret: you don’t have to use shoes. In fact, I rarely do! Jumbo faces of the bride and groom, objects that represent their hobbies or career, teddy bear sets such as this one, bride and groom baseball hats such as this one (Amazon affiliate links), or any other meaningful indicator works just as well, if not better. As a wedding MC & DJ who is all about smooth transitions, I can quickly segue into the next formality without having to wait for the couple to put their shoes back on
Now, with those pro tips out of the way, here’s my ultimate list of Shoe Game questions!
THE ULTIMATE LIST OF WEDDING SHOE GAME QUESTIONS
These questions are in no particular order. It is up to the Shoe Game Host to determine what questions would be the best fit for the couple.
- Who was more involved in the wedding planning?
- Who chose the honeymoon location?
- Who is more excited for the honeymoon?
- Whose idea was it to play this silly game called The Shoe Game?
- Who had the crazier bachelor/bachelorette party?
- Who is more excited that the wedding planning is finally over?
- Who will be more likely to forget their anniversary?
- Who approached the other one first?
- Who asked the other one out on a date first?
- Who made the first move?
- Who planned the first date?
- Who paid for the first date?
- Who leaned in for the kiss first?
- Who is the better kisser?
- Who apologizes first after a fight?
- Who decides where to go on dates?
- Who had a bigger crush on the other one?
- Who fell in love first?
- Who said “I love you” first?
- Who was the one who first wanted to make the relationship official?
- Who says “I’m sorry” first?
- Who is “always right”?
- Who is never wrong?
- Who proposed to the other?
- Who started the first argument?
- Who has to have the final word during a fight?
- Who’s more likely to start an argument?
- Who’s more likely to finish an argument?
- Who’s needier when they are sick?
- Who told their family about the relationship first?
- Who will want kids first?
- Who wants the most kids?
- Who was the first to bring up marriage?
- Who is the leader in the relationship?
- Who plans the best date nights?
- Who is more likely to plan a trip or vacation?
- Who needs more attention?
- Who is the one always convincing the other to go out?
Everyday Life Questions
- Who controls the remote control at home?
- In the event no consensus can be made, who makes the decision on what you will watch on (insert streaming platform here)?
- Who cleans up around the house more often?
- Who will do more household chores?
- Who will be doing the dishes?
- Who is more likely to leave their dishes on the table after eating?
- Who is more likely to leave their dishes in the sink instead of putting them in the dishwasher?
- Who does the laundry more?
- Who will change the oil for the vehicles?
- Who handles the grocery shopping?
- Who will be doing most of the cooking?
- Who goes longer without washing their clothes?
- Who is most likely to drive the car?
- Who is the better, safer driver?
- Who is more likely to bring the other breakfast in bed?
- Who makes the better breakfast?
- Who prepares the coffee?
- Who makes a better cup of coffee?
- Who wakes up first in the morning?
- Who turns off the lights at night and locks up the house?
- Who takes up more than their half of the bed?
- Who’s more likely to steal all the covers on a cold night?
- Who has more pairs of shoes?
- Who has the bigger wardrobe?
- Who is more likely to be running late?
- Who’s more likely to arrive late to an appointment?
- Who is the night owl and stays up later?
- Who needs more pampering?
- Who will walk the dog(s)?
- Who will pick up after the pets?
Habits & Routines Questions
- Who gets ready first?
- Who spends a longer amount of time getting ready for a night out?
- Who is always waiting on a woman?
- Who is the one that always remembers to brush and floss their teeth?
- Who is more likely to be texting their friends all day?
- Who spends more time at the gym/working out?
- Who is always hungry?
- Who eats healthier?
- Who eats more junk food?
- Who is the pickier eater?
- Who would be more likely to eat dessert for breakfast?
- Who is more likely to skip bathing?
- Who takes longer showers?
- Who is always leaving the toilet seat up?
- Who replaces the toilet paper roll?
- Who is most likely to leave their laundry on the floor?
- Who has the cleanest car?
- Who makes the bed?
- Who usually falls asleep first?
- Who is the deeper sleeper?
- Who spends more time binge-watching TV/Netflix?
Personality & Quirky Questions
- Who is smarter?
- Who is more outgoing?
- Who is more dramatic?
- Who is more emotional?
- Who is more serious?
- Who is more spontaneous?
- Who is more forgetful?
- Who is more flexible?
- Who is more adventurous?
- Who is the bigger party animal?
- Who is more artistic?
- Who is more creative?
- Who is more organized?
- Who is more stubborn?
- Who is messier?
- Who is sappier?
- Who is more likely to be a cry baby?
- Who is the bigger gossip?
- Who has more common sense?
- Who is better at planning and executing surprises?
- Who spends more time on the internet?
- Who spends more time on social media?
- Who talks the most?
- Who is the bookworm?
- Who has the better sense of humor?
- Who is funnier?
- Who has the best jokes?
- Who tells the better Dad jokes?
- Who has the better laugh?
- Who remembers important dates like birthdays and anniversaries more?
- Who falls sick more often?
- Who was the most popular in high school?
- Who was the bigger nerd in high school?
- Who had better grades in school?
- Who eats the slowest?
- Who enjoys the great outdoors more?
- Who burps more?
- Who complains more?
- Who can hold their liquor better?
- Who gets drunk quicker?
- Who is better at keeping secrets?
- Who struggles with keeping a secret?
- Who cries more during movies?
- Who is the bigger flirt?
- Who is more interested in sports?
- Who screams at the television during sporting events?
- Who snores the loudest?
- Who dresses more flirtatiously?
- Who is the better driver?
- Who thinks they are the better driver?
- Who is more likely to get lost?
- When lost, who is more likely to ask for directions?
- Who is poor with directions?
- Who tips better?
- Who has worse road rage?
- Who has a better sense of style?
- Who has the bigger sweet tooth?
- Who takes longer to order off the menu?
- Who has the worst hearing?
- Who has the worst vision?
- Who is more likely to get a parking ticket?
- Who has more speeding tickets?
- Who is more likely to talk their way out of a speeding ticket?
- How is more likely to “punch it” through a yellow light?
- Who is more likely to run a red light?
- Who is more of a clean freak?
- Who is more of a control freak?
- Who wakes up grumpier?
- Who is moodier?
- Who is likely to eat the last piece of food?
- Who is more addicted to their phone?
- Who talks on the phone more?
- Who checks themselves out in the mirror the most?
- Who’s more likely to cry laughing during a comedy?
- Who’s more clumsy and likely to hurt themselves?
- Who is the better athlete?
- Who is more likely to say a “little white lie”?
- Who takes more photos on their phone?
- Who is more of a shopaholic?
- Who is handier?
- Who’s more of a thrill-seeker?
- Who’s more of a daredevil?
- Who is the “responsible one”?
- Who is more a of dog/cat person?
- Who is more likely to throw a temper tantrum?
Just For Fun Questions
- Who is in the better shape?
- Who has the biggest feet?
- Who really wears the pants in this relationship?
- Who is more likely to be casted on a reality show?
- Who has more siblings?
- Who has the better taste in music?
- Who plays DJ in the car on road trips?
- Who is the better singer?
- Who sings better in the shower?
- Who sings better in the car?
- Who is more likely to hop up on stage for karaoke night?
- You just bought a new gas grill. Who assembles it?
- Who believes aliens are real?
- Who is more likely to get arrested – (insert deliberate pause) – I didn’t finish the question! – for defending the other person’s honor?
- Who has a bigger butt?
- Who looks better in a pair of yoga pants?
- Who is more likely to get sunburnt?
- Who is the better cook?
- Who thinks they can cook better than Gordon Ramsey?
- Who is more likely to burn the house down when they’re cooking dinner?
- Who is more likely to burn water?
- Who is the better baker?
- Who is more likely to lose their keys/wallet/cell phone?
- Who is closer to their family?
- Who has the most friends?
- Who is crazier?
- Who has the crazier set of friends and family?
- Who is more likely to break their phone?
- Who farts more?
- Whose farts are louder?
- Whose farts are smellier?
- Who has smellier armpits?
- Who’s terrified of monsters or has other irrational fears?
- Who talks more in their sleep?
- Who’s more likely to say something embarrassing in their sleep?
- Who’s more likely to scream at the sight of a spider?
- Who will kill all the spiders in the house?
- Who will write out all the Christmas cards?
- Who would last longer on a deserted island?
- Who would survive longer during the zombie apocalypse?
- Who has been in more car accidents?
- Who never forgets to take their smartphone with them when they go to the bathroom?
- Who is more likely to drop their cell phone in the toilet?
- Who would be the first to bungee jump/sky dive?
- Who’s afraid of heights?s
- Who’s more likely to decorate the house with memorabilia from their favorite sports team?
- Who loves spicy food?
Adorable & Cute Questions
- Who gives better gifts?
- Who is likely to give random gifts for no reason?
- Who gives a better massage?
- Who is more romantic?
- Who says “I love you” more often?
- Who has a cuter smile?
- Who loves (insert pet(s) name(s) here) more?
- Who is feeling thankful that everyone is here today?
- Who is the better dancer?
- Who has better hair?
- Who is always comforting the other one?
- Who gets along better with the other’s family?
- Who is most likely to bring home a stray animal?
- Who’s more likely to fall asleep on the other’s shoulder when watching TV?
- Who looks better today?
- Who loves animals more?
- Who loves kids more?
Career & Money Questions
- Who has the more stressful job?
- Who usually gets home from work first?
- Who complains about their boss the most?
- Who saves more money?
- Who spends more money?
- Who is more frugal?
- Who pays the bills and controls the finances?
- Who tends to work more?
- Who is more likely to stay late at work?
- Who’s more likely to max out their credit card?
- Who’s more likely to spend all their money at Target (or insert couple’s favorite store)?
- Who is more likely to splurge money on a nice dinner out?
Dirty & Raunchy Questions
Please approach any dirty and raunchy questions with extreme caution. Make sure the couple has given explicit permission (pun intended!) to include any dirty & raunchy questions; make sure you give them an example of what a dirty and raunchy Shoe Game question might be, too!
- Who will fall asleep first tonight?
- Who is more likely to say, “Not tonight”?
- Who is the better lover?
- Who initiated sex first?
- Who initiates most of the time?
- Who is shyer about what they like to do in bed?
- Who is the kinkiest?
- Who is quieter when making love?
- Who is louder when making love?
Last Question Variations
- Of all the people in the world, who is the one person you love the most?
- Who are you excited to spend forever with?
- Who do you want to annoy for the rest of your life?
- Who is luckier to have found the other one?
Originally Published: November 30, 2021
Last Updated: December 28, 2021
Images Credit: Amy Galbraith Photography & MoscaStudio